241) Where might you find rotor cloud?
a) Over hilltops and in the
lee of hills in association
with wave systems.
242) What happens to visibility and temperature at the passage of a cold front?
a) Visibility increases and
243) What is the approximate rate of change of temperature with height for the dry adiabatic lapse rate?
a) 3 degrees Celsius loss
per 1000 feet height gain.
244) What are the three main stages called in the life cycle of a thunderstorm?
a) The cumulus stage,
the mature stage and the
245) What is the cause of a sea breeze front?
a) Sea heating more
quickly than the land,
which causes the air
to rise over the sea.
This in turn leads to
advection and the sea
246) What is the cause of katabatic winds?
a) Cooling air becomes
more dense and therefore
sinks. At night this
sinking air will flow
down hills and through
valleys creating the
247) What is the name given to the point at which water vapor condenses, and what is the required humidity?
a) The dew point
and can occur at
any percentage saturation.
248) Which of the following is the most accurate definition of the adiabatic lapse rate?
a) The rate of
change of temperature
due to expansion
into account the
i.e. dry or saturated.
249) Which direction does air flow around a high pressure in the northern hemisphere?
250) What is the name given to lines depicting points of equal pressure on a synoptic chart?
251) What is the cause of anabatic winds?
252) What is the cause of wind?
253) In the Northern Hemisphere, if a glider is accelerated or decelerated, the magnetic compass will normally indicate:
254) In the Northern Hemisphere, a magnetic compass will normally indicate initially a turn toward the west if:
255) What is an important airspeed limitation that is not color coded on airspeed indicators?
256) During flight, when are the indications of a magnetic compass accurate?
257) If the pitot tube and outside static vents become clogged, which instruments would be affected?
258) In the Northern Hemisphere, the magnetic compass will normally indicate a turn toward the south when
259) The pitot system provides impact pressure for which instrument?
260) What does the red line on an airspeed indicator represent?